Skip to main content

Linus hasn’t received any recommendations yet.

I find it extremely interesting that Linus Torvalds Linkedin profile doesn't have any 'Recommendations:
Received (0)
Given (1)
Linus hasn’t received any recommendations yet.'
You may say he doesn't need it. Everyone knows he invented Linux. Well almost everyone :)
But it also shows and reflects the world we are living. You barely hear his name and he is not in the news.
I know people with 10, 100 recommendations.
It is all about building and maintaing your connections. So the old saying goes: "Its not what you know, its who you know"
It works amazingly well even nowadays in the age of knowledge.
I think of the Linus legacy and I think of:
Security and stability
Extensibility and simplicity
I think of Bill Gates legacy and I think of:
Unsecure and untrustworthy
Proprietory and complex
One is humble and down to earth creator
The other is shrewd and cunning businessman
One is doing OK
The other is billionaire
You can now run Linux on Windows :) You can now run SQL Server on Linux...
I won I won. You almost  hear him saying.
The whole Microsoft model was to trap the consumer into 'simplicity' of Windows.
It worked. We all fell for it - just click here and there and all is done. Its easier that way.
No need to think. We will think for you in the background.
Now we hear all over the news - breach is here, and here and here, ransomware etc. etc.
No one is asking why? How we arrived here. 
Simplicity my friend - just click here and here. No need to think.
We will secure Windows for you.
Back to Linus :)
Enter Debian and install Kali. Enter Alpine and install Docker. And the list is going on and on and on....
Easy to use and secure the from ground up.

I think about legacy these two men will leave.
I want to say:
"Linus thank you very much. I have learned a lot by just playing with Linux"
"Bill thank you very much. How much do you want for it? Can you take it with you?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mediator vs OSB

Many times in my classes and projects people mix between Mediator and OSB Now picture above tells a story :) Mediator only works within Composite App OSB enterprise wide integrations, SLA's etc. Mediator and OSB do have overlapping functionality and the final differentiation: 1. OSB only used for non-functional requirements and its job is to Virtualize and route. 2. BPEL on the hand used for Orchestration between different services. Last picture will tell a better story :)

Locomotive Breath

Living through the transition period is quite extradionary. We all kinda know and anticipate the outcome but not in a position to do anything about it. Like watching your train leaving the station and taking you for a ride. Matrix showed us the final result with humans being used to power machines. We all in one or the other way using our own energies to breathe the life in cold metal - building networks, programming and maintaining computers. They getting smarter and smarter and we are all excited about the possibilities of artificial intelligence. But the train will arrive to the next station and it will be our turn to get off. The train will be smart enough to move on its own without us. The train will be smart enough to look for sources of alternative energy if we try to stop it. Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i19d1QnstsA&list=PLvy5jih231dYToxVkCz4xN2SX6zqVkeYT&index=17

Bees and Honey

"Another challenge is that identity data is typically decentralized . The Department of Motor Vehicles issues drivers licenses, for example, while the Department of Homeland Security issues passports, banks track financial histories, and so on. Most of these organizations have isolated and centralized identity management systems, but the current landscape demands federation and single sign-on (SSO). This makes identity management, protection and verification very cumbersome, costly and risky for all industry enterprises and government agencies." Jai Singh Arun - Security and Blockchain Innovations Program Director, IBM Identity architectural landscape is changing and personally I can only think of this very simple analogy between identities and blockchain. Identities to the blockchain are what the bees are to the honey. . This is as simple as even your grandma would understand :) Bees (identities) all day collect honey somewhere in the fields. Coming back to thei...